How to Choose a Professional Mosquito ExterminatorReading time: 7 minutes
One of the worst things about the spring and summer seasons is the emergence of mosquitoes, especially in areas with a lot of foliage or standing water. Not only do mosquitoes cause uncomfortable, itchy bites, but they can also pose a health concern if infected with viruses or bacteria.
Don’t let mosquitoes keep you from going outside to enjoy the nice weather – here’s how to choose a professional exterminator for reliable mosquito control services.
The Importance of Good Mosquito Control
According to Health Canada, while mosquitos don’t always cause serious health issues, it’s still important to be aware of the risks. Some mosquitoes carry serious diseases like malaria, dengue fever, the West Nile, and Zika viruses that can easily be transmitted to humans through a simple bite.
And even if a mosquito isn’t infected, its bite causes severe itching, swelling, and soreness for several days until the body breaks down the insect’s saliva. Controlling mosquito populations is critical to keeping communities safe in the summer, and homeowners contribute when actively reducing mosquitoes in their homes and yards.
The Benefits of Working With a Mosquito Extermination Professional
Grabbing a can of Raid at the grocery store may be tempting, but DIY pest control is risky and can quickly go awry. Plus, most over-the-counter pesticides aren’t that safe for people, pets, and plants. Hiring a professional pest control company is a better option, especially if your property is large or you have an overwhelming insect problem.
There are many benefits of working with a professional mosquito exterminator, such as:
- A pest control professional knows the most effective methods and techniques to eliminate mosquitos and keep them from coming back.
- Professionals use pest control products that are safe for kids and pets, plus beneficial insects and pollinators.
- They know how to eliminate pests without additional damage to your property.
- They can help you get rid of a mosquito infestation without exposing you to potential health problems.
- A professional exterminator will monitor your property and provide follow-up services as necessary to maintain adequate pest control.
Expert pest control specialists bring many benefits to your property, so this list isn’t all you can expect when you turn to a company that focuses on pest control.
What To Look For When Hiring an Exterminator
When hiring a professional pest exterminator, consider several options before making a final decision. Here’s what you should keep in mind when comparing mosquito extermination professionals:
- Pest control qualifications – Look for mosquito exterminators near you who have been in business for a long time or are certified by regulatory agencies in pest control.
- Safety and efficacy – Make sure the company you choose has a good safety record and that its pest control services are reported as effective.
- Experience and expertise – Don’t hire new companies or mosquito exterminators without experience or know-how. You want someone who can come onto your property, assess the situation, and know exactly what to do next.
- Reviews and reputation – When checking out a pest control provider’s reputation, ensure most customers are satisfied with the services provided. A few complaints are typical, but there shouldn’t be many more than that.
- Pricing – While you want the services you hire to be affordable, pricing too low is a red flag and should be avoided.
How To Find Potential Pest Control Providers
Finding a professional mosquito exterminator near you usually starts with a simple Google search. But with so many search results, the prospect of sorting through them to find the best provider can be intimidating.
Consider some of these tips to help narrow your list of potential pest control specialists.
Get Recommendations From Friends & Family
If your friends or family use professional pest control services for their homes, you can ask them for recommendations. Be sure to ask what they do and don’t like about the service so you can decide if it will fit your specific needs.
Look at Online Reviews
When searching for mosquito exterminators near you, look at each company’s online reviews to see what people using their services say. Here are some things to keep an eye out for:
- Lack of reviews – This means the company is entirely new to your area or possibly even the pest control industry.
- Responses to negative reviews – Every business gets a negative review occasionally. Still, the key is seeing how companies respond to them and what they’re willing to do to make the situation right.
- Overwhelmingly positive reviews – Reviews that are exceedingly positive and maybe even sound the same are likely manufactured and aren’t from real users.
Check the Pricing
If budget concerns you, how much the service costs may be one of the first things you check. This lets you eliminate pest control providers that are way out of your price range early in the research process, so you’re not wasting your time calling exterminators you’re unlikely to hire.
How to Choose a Mosquito Exterminator That Meets Your Needs
Once you’ve assembled a handful of pest control professionals you would be interested in working with, it’s time to narrow the list down to the best one. Here’s how to evaluate each provider's process and determine which best meets your mosquito control needs.
See If the Exterminator Offers Custom Treatment Plans
Ideally, the professional mosquito exterminator you select will have custom treatment plans that you can tailor to fit your property and budget. This lets you pick and choose what services you want and how often you want them without signing up for a standard package that may include services you don’t.
Make Sure They Use Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Best Practices
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is a pest control strategy designed to control insects and nuisance animals at all life cycle stages to minimize harm to humans and the environment. This includes habitat manipulation, biological control, and using insect-resistant varieties of vegetation. With IPM, pesticides are only used after a thorough evaluation has indicated they are necessary.
See What Their Monitoring & Follow Up Protocol Is
You should also check a pest control company’s follow-up protocol to see how they monitor properties they’ve serviced and their recommended extermination schedule. Ensure your professional mosquito exterminator can guide you through a custom pest control strategy to keep your property free of mosquitoes and other harmful bugs all year.
Top Questions to Ask a Mosquito Exterminator
What pest control methods do you use to control mosquitos and other insects?
Ask professional exterminators you’re considering what their mosquito control protocols are and how they reduce or eliminate mosquito populations. You should also ask follow-up questions about how the process works and what alternative options may be available.
Are your products safe for humans, pets, and the environment?
One of the most important questions you can ask is if the pesticides and other solutions a company uses are safe for children and pets. Get a clear picture of how you can best protect your family after the treatment, like opening your windows and letting your house air out or avoiding touching any surface the solution was applied to for a couple of hours.
You also want to ensure that pesticides aren’t harmful to the environment or beneficial pollinators like bees and butterflies. These insects pose no harm to people or property and are essential to the ecosystem, so protecting them when exterminating nuisance insects is critical.
Is this a long-term pest control solution?
Ensure you know what you’re getting when hiring a professional exterminator. Are you getting a one-time pest control treatment or signing up for a monthly or yearly service that will keep your property pest-free long-term? Ask if you can build your custom maintenance plan to fit your budget and mosquito control needs.
What certifications do you have?
Ask to see the exterminator’s certifications and licensure to confirm that it’s from a valid regulatory body and up-to-date. You also want to ensure they’re insured if anything goes wrong during your service. If a provider doesn’t have the proper certifications, working with them poses a lot of risk to your family and your property.
See How Buzz Boss Can Get Rid of Mosquitos Near You
At Buzz Boss, we know how vital quality mosquito control is and have tailored solutions that can work for you. Reduce the risk of contracting severe infections and getting itchy, annoying bug bites with our customized pest elimination strategies now and start enjoying your property to the fullest.
Contact us now, and our team of pest control experts will get back to you as soon as possible.