Send the ants marching...
Control ants around your home with these tips from Buzz Boss.
- Good housekeeping is the most important part of keeping ants away. Ants will enter homes when food or water is available.
- Sweep up and vacuum food particles as quickly as possible because ants love your food as much as you do
- Leaking faucets and moisture is attractive to ants. Keep moisture to a minimum in bathrooms, kitchens and mechanical rooms.
- Make sure the stored foods and litter are not accessible. Trash bins, pet food and food in cupboards should be in containers with tight-fitting lids.
A GOOD FOUNDATION
- When the foundation of your home is sealed and clear of debris there is less opportunity for ants to come inside.
- Store firewood away from the foundation. Carpenter ants are attracted to rotting wood.
- Firewood stored against your home creates the potential that ants in the wood will then enter your home!
- Leaf litter and clutter create a cover for ants to access your house.
- Seal it up! Whenever there is a crack in the foundation ants may come in.
- Seal cracks around utility lines and vents. Make sure that weather-stripping on windows and doors is in good condition.
TRIM THAT BUSH
- Trimming vegetation, a minimum of 6 inches from your house ensures there is no bridge for ants to get onto your house.
- Trim tree branches when they are making contact with your house.
- Ants will actually herd aphids because they feed on the sweet substance that aphids excrete.
- Use a powerful spray of water to knock aphids off of your plants.
HIRE A PRO
- Perimeter treatments around the base of your home will help to repel insects (ants included)
- The products used will last for several weeks and are safe for your family, pets and wildlife.